Bunnahabhain (1881) is Gaelic for ‘Mouth of the River’, a suitable name for a distillery located where the Margadale river flows into the Bunnahabhain Bay on the northeastern shore of Islay. The distillery overlooks the Sound of Islay, the canal that seperates Islay from Jura. An ideal location, it seemed, because of the plentiful fresh and peat rich water from Loch Staoinsha and the natural harbor that would make transport to the mainland possible. Production started in 1883 and in 1887 Bunnahabhain was one of the founders of the Highland Distillers Company Ltd. Bunnahabhain was bottled as a single malt as late as the ‘70s. Prior to that, most production went into the very popular Islay blend Black Bottle. Both are in the hands of Burn Stewart Distillers since 2003.