The extrovert James Allardice founded the Speyside distillery Glenronach in 1826, making it one of the oldest in Scotland. She is to be found in a wonderful valley of the Dronac Burn from which the distillery takes it water. In 1837, the distillery was destroyed by fire. Both the ruin and the license to distill was taken over by Walter Scott, who worked at Teaninich at the time. In 1916, the distillery closed, but Charles Grant (son of William Grant, one of the Glenfiddich founders) took over in 1920. By 1960 the stills were doubled by then owner Teachers & Sons, who closed Glendronach again in 1995. Billy Walker and company, owners of BenRiach, took over in 2008 and added the capital D, thus forming GlenDronach. Floor maltings are still operational and approx. 1.4 million litres of spirit are produced per annum. Part of the production goes into Ballantines and Teachers blends, but there are also quite a few single malts with different finishes.