In 1836 (some sources say 1797) Robert Hay founded the Glenfarclas distillery in Speyside. After Hay’s death, the distillery came into the hands of John Grant and his son George and to this day, it has remained a family business for six generations already. Glenfarclas is Gaelic for ‘valley of the green grass’, describing the wonderful surroundings. Glenfarclas is know for having the largest stills in Speyside, which explains the rummagers inside. The capacity is approx. 3 million litres of spirit per annum. The 30 warehouses are rumoured to have over 50.000 casks. Glenfarclas was the first to release a whisky at cask strength, the still popular Glenfarclas 105. About 20.000 visitors are attracted to the distillery and its wonderful visitor center every year. Glenfarclas does not allow independent bottlers to mention the name of the distillery on their releases, which emphasizes their spirit of independence. Glenfarclas was named ‘Distiller of the Year’ in 2006.